Friday, September 18, 2009

Sad Weekend

My beautiful, amazing grandmother, Sarah King, passed away on September 3rd. Phil and I spent Labor Day weekend with my family in Greensboro remembering her and celebrating her life. She's been a constant as long as I can remember- they lived about 2 miles from us growing up, and was the only babysitter we ever had. I'd say she had quite an influence on me and Jason :)

Grandma and Granddaddy met in the first grade, when he gave her a nickel to sit with him at their lunch table :) Grandma saved the nickel and it was with her when she was buried. I told Granddaddy that it was her turn to save him a seat in Heaven :)

My aunt had seen doves released at a funeral before, and thought it was a nice way to finish the ceremony, so we did that for Grandma. One dove was released first, as a symbol of Grandma's spirit. Then three more were released and joined with the first, symbolizing the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. It was truly touching and a sweet way to honor Grandma's memory.

I have a few pictures from the weekend- not of sad things, though. There are some Emma pictures (of course) and Phil and I also took Granddaddy to visit the old farm where Grandma grew up in Eden. I'll post those soon.

Thanks to everyone who has been praying for Grandma and my family during this time- it means the world to all of us. Praise God she knew Jesus and is happy and well in Heaven now :)

1 comment:

Kim Simms said...

So sorry about your grandma. The funeral sounded beautiful and a fitting tribute to her. Love you! Kim S.